Saturday 8 November 2008

WRITER ON THE ROAD - India 2008



Received my first dose of Delhi Belly yesterday and it was a beauty. My diaphragm is still aching from all the action. Hopefully I have ticked that box and we can move on.


Another story of Indian life ...

There is a main highway here called NH8 and apparently there was a dispute between the local and state government about who would provide lighting for a new stretch of road. A local entrepreneur came along and offered to power the lights for a reasonable fee. His solution was to have a man sit on the medium strip and top up a diesel generator as required. This is the solution that they went with!

And another ...

Me "Do you know where you are going?"

Taxi Driver "Yes"

We arrive at a Hotel and I can't see the people that I am meeting, so I call them.

Me "Where are you?"

Them " We are here"

It turns out that I am at the wrong hotel. I say to the taxi driver, "I thought you knew where you were going?"

"I did," he replied. It turns out that I was asking the wrong question. It should have been. "Do you know where I am going?" He knew where he was going - it just wasn't the same place that I was going.

It seems that in India people don't like letting you down and saying no. I think this is a cultural aspect of some Asian countries as well.

Haven't had a chance to write a word since I have been here. I did pen a Flash piece at Hong Kong International airport but that was over 3 weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment